- Flight Type: Ridge and Thermals, potential XC site.
- Only time to fly: After the snow is gone and before the ski season starts.
- USHPA Rating Recommendation: H3/P3
- USHPA and NEPHC membership is mandatory. Tram operators will require proof of USHPA membership, and check names against a list of NEPHC members.
- Launch: East facing.
- Elevation : 4080 foot summit (1244m).
- PG LZ: Approved Landing Area or Franconia Airport
- HZ LZ: Franconia Airport
- Franconia Airport : 1B5 is on Route 116. Unicom frequency is 122.8.
- Orientation(s):NE – N Wind preferred at 8-10 kts
- Take off: Ski Slope Launch
- Airspace: There is an airport approximately 2.5 miles away so there are occasional low flying aircraft in the area.
- Hazards: The launch site is right under Yankee MOA areas 1 and 2. Airport hosts a large number of soaring gliders as well.
Rules and Regulations:
- You must be a current USHPA and current NEPHC member.
- LAND AT THE APPROVED AREA OR AT THE FRANCONIA AIRPORT.
- DO NOT CROSS THE TRAM LINE.
- Register in the NEPHC Book in the base lodge.
- If you have already registered in the past, you need to sign in before you can fly.
- Buy a one-way tram ticket or hike up.
Directions and parking:
- 93 North to Cannon Mountain
- Exit 34B – Cannon Mountain Tramway
- Park anywhere in the parking lot.