Wellfleet – White Crest Beach
USHPA Rating Requirement Suggestion: P3. H2/P2 with mentor
Flight Type: Coastal Ridge Soaring.
Launch: 41.934225, -69.979792. East/Northeast facing cliff launch approximately 140 feet in altitude. Please ask spectators to stand clear of the launch as this endangers not only yourself, but them too!
Landing Zone: Top landing and landing on the beach. Land downwind of launch giving right of way to launching pilots.
Parking Zone: 41.934225, -69.979792. 740 Ocean View Dr, Wellfleet, MA 02667. Avoid parking close to launch for failed launches and safety.
Best time to fly: The Town of Wellfleet allows us flying here from October 2 until April 14. Check the Town Beach regulations before you fly or NEPHC for exact dates before you fly. If you fly during prohibited times, you run the risk of being caught, jailed, fined, and/or your equipment confiscated.
Rules and Regulations
- DO NOT LAND OR WALK ON THE DUNES except directly in the left path to the beach in front of launch.
- KITING ONLY DOWNWIND OF LAUNCH to avoid flight path of launching and landing pilots.
- Best wind ENE @ 10-15 mph. Do not launch a standard sized paraglider in wind exceeding 15-16 mph unless you are certain you have the skills and your glider can penetrate! Mini Wing operating limitations at the pilot’s discretion.
- Airspace: This site has no airspace restrictions. Occasional low flying aircraft in the area.
- Hazards: Rotors, venturi, wind gradients, accidental water landing, moving cars, town signs to the left of launch, power lines at the rear of the parking area.
- Keep a respectful safe maneuvering distance from the cliffside houses to the South of launch.
- No Crowding – Don’t fly back and forth in front of launch or try top-landing when pilots are waiting to launch. When conditions are good you have lots of ridge to spread out.
- Spectator control – Kindly ask vehicles and people to avoid space behind launch to avoid accidents. Orange cones are typically set up to warning the public and cars parking.
- P2s are recommended to fly with a high-vis streamer at least 2m (6ft) in length.
- This site is environmentally sensitive we are guests of the Town of Wellfleet, The National Seashore and the local community and fly here because of their generosity!
- Always follow USHPA Safety guidelines.
- Never fly alone.
- Speed-bars must be connected whenever ridge-soaring in a paraglider. Pilots have been blown behind launch and from kiting on the beach in high wind.
- No Aerobatics, stay clear of the launch area when others are trying to launch
- Always carry a hook knife and practice getting out of your harness and finding your hook knife. An accidental water landing can be extremely dangerous.
- Check the Tidal forecast as well as monitoring Wind forecast. As the site faces North East, soarable conditions can be associated with storm events. Be aware of launching into building conditions.
- Use a GPS equipped variometer to monitor your ground speed into the wind.
- Be aware of the possibility that the beach landing area can be greatly reduced by high tides.
- Land at least 100ft from anyone on the beach.
- Landing Zone: It is highly recommended to land on the beach. The parking lot used for top landing is paved, can be crowded and is very close to powerlines at the rear of the parking lot!
- Land downwind of launch giving right of way to launching pilots.
- Stay clear of pilots with ribbon indicators — these are novice pilots informing you to give them space!
- Stay away from launch as best as possible unless you are either landing or crossing from north to south.
- Kite on the beach and away from the launch site — avoid any area where a launching pilot can land if he should decide to abort!
- Follow all right of way rules! Please watch this video if you would like further guidance.