CANNON MOUNTAIN IS CLOSED TO PARAGLIDING UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE as of April 3, 2020.
Due to COVID-19 crisis the NH State Parks has denied the special use permit required to fly at Cannon.
The State of NH has asked the club to implement and enforce Covid-19 rules and restrictions to meet special use application standards. We ask pilots wishing to visit Cannon Mountain to be good representatives of the club.
Please practice leave no trace ethics and follow Covid-19 policy:
- Pilots must follow and enforce NH state Covid-19 restrictions upon themselves and each other.
- Participants must self screen for symptoms of Covid-19.
- Please bring face covering and hand sanitizer for PPE.
- Meeting place will be at the Kingsman Ridge Trailhead in groups of 10 people or less.
- Please no sharing gear, pilots provide their own gear.
- Hike Kingsman Ridge Trail abiding NH state parks Covid-19 policy (www.nhstateparks.org/covid-19).
- Once on launch pilots are to social distance or wear a face mask. Upon landing, pack up and go. No congregating in Landing Zone or in the parking lot.
Flying Cannon Mountain
- Flight Type: Ridge and Thermals, potential XC site.
- Only time to fly: After the snow is gone and before the ski season starts.
- USHPA Rating Recommendation: H3/P3
- USHPA and NEPHC membership is mandatory.
- Launch: East facing.
- Elevation : 4080 foot summit (1244m).
- PG LZ: Approved Landing Area or Franconia Airport
- HZ LZ: Franconia Airport
- Franconia Airport : 1B5 is on Route 116. Unicom frequency is 122.8.
- Orientation(s):NE – N Wind preferred at 8-10 kts
- Take off: Ski Slope Launch
- Airspace: There is an airport approximately 2.5 miles away so there are occasional low flying aircraft in the area.
- Hazards: The launch site is right under Yankee MOA areas 1 and 2. Airport hosts a large number of soaring gliders as well.
Rules and Regulations:
- You must be a current NEPHC member.
- LAND AT THE APPROVED AREA OR AT THE FRANCONIA AIRPORT.
- DO NOT CROSS THE TRAM LINE.
- Register in the NEPHC Book in the base lodge.
- If you have already registered in the past, you need to sign in before you can fly.
- Buy a one-way tram ticket or hike up.
Directions and parking:
- 93 North to Cannon Mountain
- Exit 34B – Cannon Mountain Tramway
- Park anywhere in the parking lot.